Friday 17 February 2012

YSL Rouge Pur Couture Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain: Review and swatches

The new YSL Rouge Pur Couture Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain piqued my interest after a number of my favourite blogs featured them. They usually retail in the UK for £22.50. I picked up #11 Rouge Gouache up for about £19 at Gatwick airport dutyfree.

Available in 20 shades, it is an extremely long–lasting, non-sticky stain formula with glossy shine. I like the chic and sturdy packaging, with the window that allows you to see the shade and amount of product left.

The angled sponge applicator is similar to that of Maquillage Essence Glamorous Rouge but the YSL version has a broader surface. It allows for fairly precise, even application, with the tapered tip coming in especially handy for the outer corners of the lips and the cupid's bow.

Swatches of 18 of the shades (missing #9 and #20 which were not available).

Most of the shades apply semi-translucent at first and then build up quickly to a more intense, pigmented finish. The shine factor is impressive compared to other lip stains that I've tried. Most other lip stains usually dry down matte and then require a separate balm to be layered on top for shine and moisture.

These really do stain the skin quite quickly. After swatching them on my hand, it took quite a bit of rubbing with a makeup remover-soaked cotton pad to remove the stains.


On my lips, #11 Rouge Gouache is a cheery bright reddish pink with a lovely shine that stays amazingly well throughout the day after drying down. As the shade is so vivid, one has to be careful and precise in application as any unevenness shows up easily. It wears quite comfortably on the lips for the most part, although by the end of the day (after about 9 hours), my lips were feeling slightly dry with a bit of stickiness.



The photo above was taken right after application while the photo below was taken after 9 hours of wear. The shade retained its vibrancy very well, although there was a bit of fading on the inner edges. I can't say how well it lasts through heavy duty eating and drinking though, as I had just light snacks and a coffee today. Being YSL, the Glossy Stains are certainly pricey but I'm liking it enough to want to pick up more shades in the future.

Below is the list of ingredients. The Glossy Stain is made in France and has a shelf life of 24 months after opening.

Read more reviews of the Glossy Stains on:
Beaut.ie

Makeup & Beauty Blog

Best Things in Beauty

Drivel About Frivol

British Beauty Blogger

Video clip on the shooting of the ad visual featuring model Ginta Lapina, who also appears in this season's ads for Jill Stuart and NARS.

11 comments:

Sara Kye said...

I am so impressed with how it looks 9 hours later! The staying power and glossy factor seem like an undefeatable combo.

The Driveller Kate said...

This looks absolutely stunning on you! You have hauled the prettiest things on this round of trips so far :D

Haru said...

So was I, Sara! There is a bit of fading, but I think it lasted better than any lipstick or lipgloss I've tried recently.

Haru said...

hi Kate,
Thanks, your swatches were immensely helpful!

Jamilla Camel said...

Totally scrumptious! Thank you for the swatches!

Unknown said...

I love these glossy stains i have a couple myself> i think this looks marvellous on you my dear!

Jacqueline said...

The colour looks great on you, these are definitely must buys for me too. Thanks for the helpful swatches.

Jo said...

Gloss stains! What a terrific idea :)
The swatches look tempting (I'm eying the 1st row of berry reds!)

Unknown said...

Oh n 11 is very beautiful! compliments for your blog!

Clémence said...

An other test... This product is wonderful!!!
http://double.regard.over-blog.com/article-le-vernis-a-levres-ysl-99997002.html

Jen W said...

Beautiful!