Thursday 7 July 2011

MAC Semi Precious Swatches

Earlier today, I popped into Tangs Orchard with Mag and Kas to check out the MAC Semi Precious mineral collection. (Fashion Flower has been delayed yet again.) The counter was doing very brisk business, despite the fact that the collection has received mixed reviews online.

These swatches of the Mineralize Eyeshadows were all done on bare skin without any primer underneath. Most of them swatched quite smoothly, although a few like Clarity and Hint of Sapphire needed quite a bit of layering.


Quartz Fusion was the only shade that had chunky silver glitter bits, that looked like they could get quite messy.

There are two different swatches of Jade's Fortune, with one being the more leaf green part of it and the other being the more greyish part. I was briefly tempted by Clarity, Jade's Fortune and Hint of Sapphire as I loved how they looked in the pot but when I went outdoors and looked at the swatches under the sun, they looked a tad dusty. So I decided to pass on them as none had the brilliance of the Venomous Villains Mineralize Eyeshadows.




The three Mineralize Skin Finishes (S$48) were all too shimmery for my liking.

Two of the three Mineralize Blushes (S$44) in this collection. These don't have the frostiness of the MSFs.

My sole purchase was the #128 brush (S$59), which was highly recommended by my SA, Javen. He suggested using the natural hair side (black) to apply blushes and the synthetic side to blend. #128 feels nicely dense and firm, yet soft against the skin.

For me, MAC brushes are an excellent investment as they last many years with proper care. Some of my MAC brushes are 10 years old and still going strong without shedding or falling apart. In contrast, the ferrule of my dual-ended Sleek contour brush (purchased just a couple of weeks ago) is already coming loose.


7 comments:

Hannah said...

I too came home with #128. It was an unexpected find/buy for me. My happiest purchase today! It's perfect for applying the MSF Rose Quartz as a blusher. I think it'd be a great brush for blushers that are not so pigmented.

Btw, the SA told me I could use one side for softer effect and the other for a heavier touch. Now I can't recall which is which. Did your SA mention that?

Maya said...

Almost bought Golden Gaze, but decided not to and save my $$ for Chanel's Illusion d'Ombre eyeshadows. THOSE look so gorgeous in online swatches.

The SA replied, when I asked her when Fashion Flower was going to turn up, that 4 different women have asked for Ever Hip that morning! LOL. Wonder what is causing the major delays....

Haru said...

hi Hannah,
Nope, he didn't but my guess is that the synthetic side has a softer effect?

hi Maya,
I didn't know Ever Hip is so sought after! I think the Illusion d'Ombres will be much easier to work with than the Mineralize eyeshadows.

galpal.hi said...

I was planning on heading down to MAC today as it's being released today here. The one swatch that caught my eye was Feeling Flush. I really don't need another blush though so maybe I'll avoid temptation and not show up at all. I'm really curious about that brush though...

Thanks for the swatches and your personal thoughts on it.

*Kat*

Mei said...

I managed to get #128 and 234. 128 was selling really really fast! Love the brushes, it's really versatile and great for travels :) Very tempted by the MSF!

purplio said...

one side of the ferrule of my dual-ended Sleek contour brush came off on the day i 1st washed it, managed to glue it back tho, but not really good impression of it :(

Vichaya said...

I got three brushes out of 4 they offer. The only one I didn't get is the kabuki since I don't really have a use for it. I barely touch mine. :) I got Bluesheen as well. Too bad I miss the Venomous Villain and hope that this will help make up for it. ;) I also got Gem of Roses and Feeling Flush but since I already have too many lips and blushes at home, I decided to skip it this time. Love the brushes and Thank you so much for such a wonderful blog you have. :)