Tuesday 12 April 2011

Liese Bubble Hair Color Cassis Berry

While combing my hair a couple of days ago, I was horrified by the numerous white hairs that had grown out near my crown and so that very evening, I popped by Watsons to pick up a new hair dye. As my buddy Kathi of Lotus Palace had praised Kao's Liese Bubble Hair Color (also known as Prettia), I decided to get this in Cassis Berry to try out. I try not to color my hair more than twice a year so as not to damage it excessively. I've been using a red shade by Schwarzkopf Palette with pretty good results.


The Liese Bubble Hair Color is extremely simple to use. Simply pour the smaller bottle of solution into the larger bottle, and then squeeze the larger bottle to dispense the foam. It's not a big bottle but it does take quite a long while for the bottle to finish dispensing all the foam. After 10 minutes of squeezing the bottle, my hand was aching a fair bit.


What I liked about the Liese Bubble Hair Color was its simplicity of use for a home job that you can do by yourself. There is virtually zero mess as the foam doesn't drip down and get on one's face, clothes or the floor. One bottle was sufficient for my hair whereas with conventional non-foaming dyes, I usually need two to three bottles for full coverage. The strong ammonia did have me coughing for awhile though. After I rinsed off the dye, there was no staining of my scalp, whereas with conventional dyes, my scalp is usually stained red for two days. Although the instructions said to leave the dye on for 20-30 minutes, I left it on for about 50 minutes, during which the dye did not sting my scalp at all.

The resulting colour was less vibrantly red than my usual Schwarzkopf shade but it was still reddish enough for my colleague to notice. My hair felt a bit dryer than it was before but not excessively so. The color was also quite even across the length of my hair. When drying my hair, my towels got stained very lightly.


Perhaps because it is a foaming formula, the dye is not as intense as conventional dyes. It covered up only about 90-95% of my white hair, which was my main concern, whereas conventional dyes give me 100% coverage. However, with conventional dyes, I often have to spend several minutes scrubbing the dye off the skin around my hairline and ears.

Overall, Liese Bubble Hair Color wins marks for its ease of use and affordability (S$17.90 at Watsons) but if you want a more vibrant shade (like the photo below in which my hair looks much redder than it is in real life) and comprehensive coverage, conventional dyes still work better but are much more staining.

Below are the ingredient lists.


17 comments:

makeupmag said...

Thank you for sharing; I like reading these more unusual beauty posts. :D And I like the colour very much!

saltvinegar said...

Liese buble hair color range is not for covering grey hair. It's written on the box. I'm surprised it covered 90% of ur grey hair. Thts pretty good i think. I expected it not to cover any grey hair at all.

Anonymous said...

I tried the Prettia foaming dye and it covered my white hairs for like, one week. Then it quickly washed away.

Lynn said...

The white hairs mean you're growing wiser! lol, i think this is really simple and easy to DIY.

pinky with lashes said...

i used that recently too!....i thought it really dried up my hair...cos of the chemical reaction due to foaming...& the 1st few days the color looked horrible....like it just sits on ur head, but give it one week, u're gonna love it!...it just 'seeps' into your natural hair color! :)

Anonymous said...

Pls give us more informal tutorials like this. We love it.

Light Love said...

The color looks amazing! Love it!!

Anonymous said...

it's my 1st time comment..hope u can write n let us noe whether the color lasting on ur grey hair part?
only worry it wont stay long after several washes..

Serene said...

Use vaseline or similar to protect your hairline and ears from the dye.

Kas said...

this sadly did not work for me - I used the same shade last Diwali and my hair turned out lighter than I started with :( but thankfully it worked for you. It also left me with all my hair in ONE GIANT KNOT - think I took the instructions one step too far! :P Of all I've tried, the Revlon Color Silk series works the best for my hair type :) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was wondering if they are selling liese bubble hair color in the watson's at Vivo city? :D

I'm not singaporean but I'm going to singapore around august this year. I'm planning to buy this product when i'm there

Haru said...

hi,
Yes, you should be able to find it at the Vivocity Watsons. Just a word of caution though, the hair dye really does not cover grey hairs for long. As a reader mentioned above, the grey hairs emerge again after a few washes. But it is stated on the box that the dye is not for covering grey hairs.

Anonymous said...

I don't really have any grey hairs yet so I guess that isn't a problem :D
Thank You!

Unknown said...

may i know ur original hair colour was ?

Haru said...

My hair was dark brown before using this hair color.

Unknown said...

Hello I just wanted to pop in and say that I really loved your post! I have virgin (super black) hair and I'm planning on using this to dye my hair. I just have some questions to ask you because I'm super nervous!!! Okay I'm going to get started: 1) So was your hair color more close to red or more close to brown because I can't really tell from the lighting. 2) I was wondering how the color turned out after a few months, like did it lighten up, turn really red, etc. 3) Also, I am in love with Jenn Im's hair color from her "TMI tag" video on youtube and I was wondering if you think this dye is the best way to go considering I have never dyed my hair and I desperately love Jenn's hair color? I'm also scared it will turn out to be too red and I don't want that. 4) If not this color dye, if you have any suggestions for a dye that will get my hair color to look like Jenn's? (I've been trying to find a good hair dye color) 5) Out of curiosity, if your haired turned out like Song Jihyo's red hair?
Sorry about this long spiel but I've tried to do research on dying hair and stumbled across your blog and I can tell you actually care and you provided really in depth descriptions and such.
Thank you so much for your time and I hope to hear from you!!!:) Stay awesome.

Haru said...

hi,
this hair dye review post was from quite a few years ago so my memory of it isn't that good. My hair was closer to dark brown before using this. The colour faded quite quickly, as is common with bubble foam dyes. If it's your first time dyeing your hair, I strongly recommend going to a hair salon to have it done professionally and bringing along a photo of your desired results. Hair dye is best done by the professionals if you have no prior experience.