Tuesday 11 January 2011

Operation Use It Up!

My perennial new year resolution is to use up more of my beauty stash. I usually write out a list of about 20 to 30 items to target to finish up over the next month, and I find that it really helps to keep me focused. I also did a bit of cleaning out of my makeup stash over the weekend, dumping out lipglosses and some other products that I haven't touched in 3 years or more. Powder products keep much better than liquids and creams, so I keep my eyeshadows and face powders for much longer than lip products or liquid foundations.

Here's what I've managed to use up so far this month.

1. Sala Repair Shampoo and Conditioner: Sala is a drugstore haircare brand by Kanebo that is quite affordable and usually works well for my hair. The line is revamped quite frequently, so this series is no longer available. The Sala official website can be viewed here.

2. Shiseido Ma Cherie Two Way Wax: This was quite good at taming flyaway strands without making my hair feel stiff.

3. Lancome Bi-Facil: This doesn't sting the eyes and removes most eyeshadows and eyeliners effectively but it can't remove my waterproof Visee mascara.

4. Juicy Couture Royal Body Cream: This did a good job of hydrating my skin but the strong distinctive scent is probably not for everybody.

5. REN Jojoba Micro Bead Purifying Facial Scrub: This is a good gentle scrub for people with sensitive skin that cannot take scrubs that are too abrasive. The jojoba oil micro beads also help to provide a good massaging action to invigorate skin.

6. Jill Stuart Shower Gel: I find the floral scent of Jill Stuart's bath products to be too sweet and syrupy. It didn't dry out my skin but it's not something I would splurge on.

7. Dior X4 Control Compact Foundation: This was a good powder foundation for oily skin but the clasp on the case broke after a few months, which meant that the case could not close properly. I liked it but I probably won't re-purchase it as I like to try out new foundations.

8. K-Palette Real Lasting Eyebrow 24hr 01: I loved this so much that I re-purchased it even before I used it up. 01 (the lighter brown) is a better shade for me than 02, which I am using currently. It's simply brilliant and so easy to use. Even if I mess up, it's easy to wipe away and re-draw. After it sets, it lasts the whole day on me.

9. Kenzoki Clearwater Gel: Good basic skin refresher.

10. Kenzoki Face Recharger serum: This provides a more deeply hydrating effect than the Clearwater Gel.

11. Sample vials of Kenzo Eau de Fleur de Yuzu, KenzoAmour EDT Florale and Relaxing Beneficial Water: I love Kenzo fragrances which are always refined, elegant and subtle.

6 comments:

makeupmag said...

Great job! I love the K-Palette brow pen too. ;)

Vanessa said...

K-palette is also my favourite! I hope Watson would bring in "Skin Laminate" make-up base too. It's the best I've tried.

Kas said...

You know, it NEVER occurs to me to take shots of the bottles / packages I finish up? I think I'm sooooo glad to see it finished (i.e a sense of accomplishment) that I toss it immediately!

MaquiLab said...

How long do you keep your eyeshhadows? I normally stick to the 24 months after opening sign, but frankly, I'm thinking that they can really last much longer... With lipglosses I normally try to use them up within a year and a half at most.

Haru said...

hi,
I keep my eyeshadows for more than 5 years actually. As long as they still look the same and there is no change in texture and scent, they should be fine to use. I haven't had any problems with using eyeshadows that are 4-5 years old.

MaquiLab said...

Wow, this is a long time. I don't normally sniff my eyeshadows but it seems to be a good idea... Thanks :)