Sunday 31 January 2010

New Dior Cinq Couleurs Palettes

The Dior counter at BHG (Bugis Junction) has the three new Cinq Couleurs palettes on display together with the new DiorShow Extase Mascara (S$50). The palettes are S$91 each.

The SA was completely clueless when I asked her what was different about the new palettes and simply replied, "Oh they are new colours". DUH! Anyway, according to Sephora.com, the formula supposedly has been improved to create an incredibly soft, melting texture that glides over the eye lid, creating a smudge-proof application. The display shows the three new palettes (#804 Extase Pinks, #004 Mystic Greys, #970 Stylish Move) plus #909 Pink May but Pink May is actually still of the "old" formula which has a less elaborate quilted pattern embossed on the surface.

The stock photo below shows (from left to right): Mystic Greys, Extase Pinks and Stylish Move.

The three palettes are swatched in the following order: top row - Stylish Move; middle row- Mystic Greys, bottom row - Extase Pinks.

To be honest, I can't really detect any difference in the formula of these new palettes, compared to the previous releases. The individual shades actually have differing textures, with some having an almost molten, velvety metallic texture while some feel a bit dryer but with a more shimmery finish. None of the three palettes immediately wowed me when swatched, but my past experience with Dior palettes is that they are usually more impressive when applied on the eyes, than when merely swatched on the back of my hand.

#804 Extase Pinks reminds me of #089 Smokey Crystal from the Holiday '09 collection.

#970 Stylish Move (below) was already part of the permanent line previously but has been redone in the new formula. This is quite popular on MakeupAlley.

4 comments:

. : * justine * : . said...

I picked up Extase Pinks at Sephora but was a bit disappointed with Mystic Smokeys - the dark navy colour turned out a dark purple on me, and unfortunately the purple made me look bruised.

I don`t really see the difference either, the Extase pinks seemed more like an iridescent palette to me than anything. Still pretty!

Haru said...

hey justine!

I'm still mulling over whether to get Extase Pinks. I don't really *need* it since I have many similar shades in my current collection. I'd probably wait and see if any other beauty blogs review it first!

. : * justine * : . said...

Hey Haru,

I probably would have waffled over it a bit longer but Sephora sent me a 10% coupon (and then took it back, and then decided to let me use it since it was their mistake) and it was the only thing that really caught my eye in the actual store! I ended ordering the rest of my wishlist from the website.

I haven`t used it yet though! Been lazy make-up wise this weekend, wearing a neutral and gold eye or no makeup at all, haha.

Haru said...

hey justine,
That's good that Sephora decided to make good on their mistake! I can never resist when they send me a discount code, and usually get a friend in the US to help me order stuff :-) I'd love to hear your thoughts on Extase Pinks after you've tried it out!